Skip to content Skip to Potter

The father fled the country and left his children without Child Support – the grandfather was required to pay in his place

The father escaped the country to the City Uman in Ukraine and left his wife and 3 minor children in Israel, without paying child support for his children and without giving his wife a divorce, which made the wife, according to Jewish law, an Agunah – a chained woman (a woman bound in marriage by a husband who refuses to grant a divorce or who is missing and not proved dead).Due to this, the mother filed a claim to the Rabbinical Court in Jerusalem filing for Child Support from the father's father (the grandfather) for the 3 minors, since the father in not in the country for some years, he is not providing for his children and the mother has to make do with a meager allowance she gets from Social Security.The grandfather responded to the lawsuit and claimed that he cannot support his grandchildren due to the fact that his only income is a disability pension from the Social Security.However, the Rabbinical Court judge in Jerusalem, Rabbi Yaakov Eliezrov was not impressed by the grandfather's claims and ruled that the grandfather has different businesses form which he makes a living and that he goes abroad many time every year.After the Rabbinical Court determined that the grandfather has the financial means to support his grandchildren, he was charged with Child Support for his grandchildren totaling at 2,000 NIS a month, as a supplement to the alimony the mother gets form Social Security.

Share Post:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Share on print

Hagit Halevy & Co. Law Office

Hagit Halevy & Co. Law Office is a well experienced office specialized in family law, divorces, wills and inheritances.


Call Us: 077-9973919

Contact Us

    You may also be intested in....

    You are invited to come to a counseling meeting where we will look at the existing situation and provide answers and explanations to your questions and a recommendation what we think is best for you are what to do.

    For an initial consultation call now: 077-2306101

    Or fill in details and we will get back to you soon.

      Contact Us